If your smile is improperly rotated, you probably have a malocclusion. Malocclusions are bad bites and misalignments with your teeth and jaw. Bad bites can be caused by the environment, oral accidents, genetics, bad habits, improper oral hygiene, and a host of other issues. Some of the most common forms of malocclusions are as follows:
Malocclusions of the incisors:
– When your upper and lower incisors fail to align, this is called a misplaced midline.
– When your lower incisors protrude past your upper incisors, this is called an underbite or bulldog teeth.
– When your upper incisors protrude past your lower incisors, this is called an overbite or buck teeth.
– When your upper and lower incisors fail to connect when biting down, this is called an open bite.
Other forms of malocclusion:
– When your lower jawbone sticks out past your upper jawbone, a crossbite occurs.
– When teeth erupt above the gum line in the wrong spaces, this is called a transposition malocclusion.
– When teeth slip and slide out of their proper alignment, this is called a rotation malocclusion.
– Spacing malocclusions occur if there are irregular gaps in your mouth, overcrowded teeth, and large gaps between teeth.
For more oral health care information or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Tontra Lowe, DDS and our team a in Haymarket, Virginia, please contact Awesome Smiles Dental Center at 571-261-2600. We look forward to helping you with all of your oral care needs.